Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Grateful for books!

One thing I have missed being here is the libraries from the U.S.~~I miss our church library, and I miss the size of the regional public libraries that we had around our home in Minnesota. It seemed ridiculously easy to find great books for our children and ourselves, from all the different genres we enjoy.

So after moaning to myself for long enough, I decided to take action. I decided to ASK someone! Although we do not have a church library, and although the public libraries are small, I am discovering with some simple questions some great used bookstores that sell children's books (I am looking for mostly the "classics," and finding good children's books has become my first priority.)

Today, I shared with a British friend that I was simply not very aware of good British authors for children. She went home and showed up later at my home with an enormous armful of books from her bookshelf, even some that were specifically Christian authors. What a find! Claire (who we literally cannot keep up with in terms of her desire to read) had already read one by the time she had left, and finished another before bed. I know that books are gifts, but I never felt it more keenly than I did today. Thank-you Kathryn~


Here are a few of the books that she loaned us~

Two other books I have really enjoyed reading out loud to our girls: this one is from my dear friend Peggy,

and here is another sent to me from my good friend Cindy, and I highly recommend it as well. This book is about 10 young women throughout history who were martyred for their faith. It is tastefully and beautifully written, and has made a big impact on our girls.


Happy reading, and Happy Tuesday to you all~

No comments: