Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Walking into Cambridge

We live in a little section of Cambridge called 'Newnham.' I walk almost every day and sometimes I choose to go through King's College to the downtown center of Cambridge to the market.

Here are a few pictures of my walk. They are so beautiful I need to share them with you! This one is looking off the the right when crossing the King's College bridge.


And here's the view to the left! This is part of "the Backs," the backs of the colleges that line the banks of the Cam. That's Clare College's bridge you see; their gardens (on the other side of the bridge to the left) are the most beautiful of all the colleges'.


If you look carefully to the left of the picture you will notice cows in the center of Cambridge! Hundreds of years ago, we've been told, King's College was deeded several acres of farm land on the other side of the river --the only catch in the will was that the College must ALWAYS have livestock on it. If King's doesn't pasture cows on this land, it reverts to the descendants of the original owner (and they know who they are!).

This is extremely valuable land now; even though from these pictures it might look like you're in the middle of the country, actually these fields are in the middle of downtown. Another quirk-- any King's student who gets a "first" has the right to keep a goat on the land!


No-one is allowed to walk on the grass in most colleges except the Fellows (professors.) I have seen employees descend immediately upon an unsuspecting rule breaker (often from several directions) to enforce this rule. Notice the sign below~



Therefore I always look wistfully at those who are allowed on the grass, a little part of me wants to run like crazy across that beautiful green lawn!~



Outside the front gate of Kings College~



On to the market from here...

There are some wonderful booths that sell food, books, tea/coffee, flowers etc.~My favorite booth is one that sells some wonderful bread. I will often splurge and buy our family some. The chocolate croissants are amazing too!



I also thought I would include a picture of the local constable's car~


Pretty snazzy!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Lisa,
Wow, what an amazing place to take a walk! Thank you for all the pictures. I don't know if I will ever travel there in this life, but you have given me a little piece to enjoy. I too would want to run across that lawn! But alas, I am a rule keeper! No grass for me. What about wives of "Fellows?" With all that book study your honey is doing...
Blessings,
Chris

Nancy said...

Hi Lisa,

Well, you've come a long way from our quiet walks down Apple Orchard Road!! Now you have some queenly scenery to behold! Thanks for the glimpse of your wonderful pathway; now I'll imagine it as I walk the hills and wetlands of Hugo, Minnesota with my new partner, Buddy the golden retriever. :) (His pace is good; he just isn't a good conversationalist!)
Missing you most on walks,
Nanc