Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Homeschooling

There have been a few surprises in homeschooling. The first is that I actually really enjoy it! I know that sounds crazy, but after the first few weeks of wondering if I would survive, we have all settled into a good routine and we are all learning a lot.

That's another surprise. I am learning! I feel like I am doing school all over again, but with a teacher manual to help me~

BUT, probably the biggest surprise is how much I realized I WASN'T teaching my children before. I realize now that I am IT. I am the teacher, and so I better get my act together and round out their education well. SO, I had a unit last week on "How to take a shower." I know, I know, you may be saying to yourself, 'haven't you already done that?' Well, of course I in general have, but I certainly haven't sat them all down in a circle with washcloths and soap and shampoo and given a tutorial. Here were a few of my points:

1. The shower liner must ALWAYS be inside the shower, and this is how you do it~water is not allowed outside the shower
2. This is how much shampoo you should use, conditioner, soap etc.
3. You should have a towel ready so you don't trail mass amounts of water across the bathroom into your bedroom.
4. You need to rinse your hair. A lot.
5. Hang up your towel when you are done, put your dirty clothes in the laundry and clean up the bathroom~

From there we went on to brushing teeth, washing hands, reminders about public restrooms, and other basic hygiene topics.

Indeed it has been an education all around~next weeks topic~cleaning bathrooms!

2 comments:

Teacherperson said...

If you come to my house, you will see the step-by-step bathroom cleaning instructions hanging on the wall. Understood!

Johnstons.in.Cambridge said...

Wow I never new you home school