Monday, December 17, 2007

Christingle


What is Christingle? I had never heard of such a thing before this month, and now I think this is our new family tradition!

The children made these "Christingle's" at church on Sunday and also today at school. We attended a service today at the village church (in Barton) where the girls and their school- mates had a Christingle service.

The decorated orange Claire is holding is very symbolic:

The orange itself represents the world.

The red ribbon around the orange symbolizes the blood of Christ that Jesus shed to save us from our sin.

The four cocktail sticks are the four seasons of the year.

The dried fruit or sweets represent the fruits of the earth and the earth's riches God has blessed the world with.

The white candle, which is place in the top of the orange, represents Jesus, the light of the world that shines over everything.

2 comments:

Bren said...

That is super cool! I just thought you should know that it has been a joy working with your father although he teases me a lot. I am praying for a blessed Christmas for your family!
Brenda

Chris said...

Lisa,
I think I will pass this on to Jonathan. What a great object lesson! Thanks for sharing. Your dad made cookies and brought them to the office today. He's something else :-)
Have a great last day with your mom.
Chris