Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sarah's Diamond

This Sunday was "Mothering" Sunday here in England. (Their version of Mother's Day)

I was "feeling poorly" and needed to stay home from church, and when the crew came home from church, I was in for a surprise!


First, Claire came in with several large daffodils (see in vase above) and handed them to me. Then came Julia with some Narcissus (from Daddy too) and then came Sarah.

In her little fist she held something tightly. With reverent gestures and measured footsteps she approached me (you have to know Sarah well to appreciate this) much like a princess.

"Mother," she said, "I have brought you a diamond, and I almost died getting it for you."

"Oh, Sarah, thank you, it is beautiful!" I said,

She curtsied in a most reverential pose~

"But how did you almost die?"

"Well" she said "I had to lean over a gate by one of the bridges, and I barely was able to get a hold of the diamond. But, Mommy, I knew that you would love it, and so I really tried to get it." "And Mommy, if I had flipped over the gate, I could have drowned in the river, so that is how I almost died."

I love my new "princess" diamond. I will keep it with my other jewelry and remember my little girls thoughtful, brought to me at great risk, gift.


Truly a precious gem~

2 comments:

Teacherperson said...

Precious indeed! I got chocolate covered raisins.

Chris said...

Lisa,
As I was looking at the beautiful flowers in the vase, I couldn't help but notice they were out shined by the beauty of Sarah's lovely profile...I love little girls soft skin.
Chris