Friday, April 11, 2008

Day at the Museum

Andrew and I met our good friends at the Cambridge Zoology museum yesterday~

My 13-year old friend Libby taught me something new. See this Rhinoceros below? I didn't know that its horns were made out of hair! If you click on the picture you may notice that the horns look almost like wood, especially around their base. A more careful study show that indeed, it is coarse hair tightly packed together. The end of the "horn" is sharpened by the animal rubbing it against tree trunks. This is why a Rhinoceros can lose it's horn and grow another!

I was told I need to watch more 'Animal Planet.'


Andrew showing us what a Flamingo does with it's neck~see skeleton behind him~

A lovely whale skeleton outside, with more friend 'specimens.' (a.k.a. Libby, Michael and Rachel)


On the way home we had to snap a picture of this swan nesting in front of a row of punts along the Cam River. Soon we will see her cygnets!

1 comment:

Teacherperson said...

Aw, gee. And I thought you'd post my picture, too. Ha ha ha!

Going to the Bookmobile tomorrow...