Tuesday, April 15, 2008

To Pray

O God who art from eternity unto eternity, and art not at one time in one place because all times and places are in Thee, I would now seek to understand my destiny as a child of Thine. Here I stand, weak and mortal, amid the immensities of nature.

But blessed be Thou, O Lord God, that Thou hast made me in Thine own likeness and hast breathed into me the breath of Thine own life. Within this poor body Thou hast set a spirit that is akin to Thine own Spirit. Within this corruptible Thou hast planted incorruption and within this mortal immortality.

So from this little room and this short hour I can lift up my mind beyond all time and space to Thee, the uncreated One, until the light of Thy countenance illumines all my life.

Let me keep in mind that my mortal body is but the servant of my immortal soul:
Let me keep in mind how uncertain is my hold upon my bodily life:
Let me remember that here I have no continuing city, but only a place of sojourn and a time of testing and of training:
Let me use this world as not abusing it:
Let me be in this world but not of it:
Let me be as having nothing yet possessing all things.
Let me understand the vanity of the temporal and the glory of the eternal:
Let my world be centered not in myself but in Thee:

Almighty God, who didst raise from the dead our Lord Jesus Christ and didst set Him at Thy right hand in glory everlasting, I thank Thee for this hope of immortality with which through many ages Thou hast cheered and enlightened the souls of Thy saints, and which Thou didst most surely seal through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

John Baillie A Diary of Private Prayer, morning prayer, day 15

1 comment:

Teacherperson said...

"So from this little room and this short hour"--wonderful!

I wanted to call you today to make sure no one else got sick. But, when I wanted to call, it was 8:08, and I thought that you'd be in the middle of bedtime routines, so I didn't. And then a headache struck, so I retired to my bed. The headache has receded, so I'm on the internet.

How ARE you? Want to walk and chat?