Sunday, November 11, 2007

New Friends and cultural observations

We were invited to Fiona and Adrian's house today for lunch. (Members of our church). Their beautiful home boasts three beautiful girls (ours were therefore in heaven) and all of Adrian's vintage Matchbox cars, well-used from when he was a boy (Andrew was equally in heaven). What a great afternoon!

Fiona saw me last Sunday night at church and invited our family over, not really knowing me at all~what wonderful hospitality on their part. We actually invited ourselves BACK! (A little cheeky on my part, but she was such a good cook, I decided to risk seeming rude . . .)

Fiona is from Glasgow, and I loved her hugs. What do I mean by this? We commented on how different personal space is in England. People tend to be much more reserved. Although I love to hug people, I don't really do that here out of cultural sensitivity. So I appreciate a hug when it is given!

Speaking of cultural sensitivity, here are a few other facts we have noticed:

TEA: When invited to "tea" at someone's house, this means, "dinner." Dinner conversely is often a late, formal meal served for adults. If invited to dinner at someone's house, plan on a babysitter and a 7:30 or 8:00 start. Most of the Brit's here seem to do tea-time as a family meal. But there are always exceptions, some people serve their children at 5:30 and then eat later a more formal meal.

Being invited over for a "cup of tea" is what most Americans would think of as "tea." Here you are always served milk (never cream) in your cup first, and then the tea. The only exception to this would be an herbal tea (tastes terrible, I know from experience). Many people offer tea within 2 minutes of you walking in the door.

"Cream Tea" is not what it sounds like either. This does not mean, cream IN your tea. Cream tea is tea with a scone and Devonshire (or clotted) cream on the side. Jam is also included in this.

PUDDING. We aren't talking Bill Cosby here. Pudding means ANY dessert at all. It could include a traditional English pudding (again not the smooth chocolate kind) but also ice-cream, cakes, pies, etc.

BISCUITS: Cookies. The Brit's PREFER the dry crispy kind. Jim and I have laughed over how some English describe American cookies. "Raw," "Undercooked" or "Chewy" (said with a screwed up face). We thought we wouldn't bring up eating cookie dough . . . .

CRISPS: Potato Chips

CHIPS: French fries

WHIP CREAM: Not to be confused with single cream, double cream, pourable double cream, or extra double cream (this you spoon on to things, because it doesn't pour), or Creme Fraiche.
(This is not the thing to ask your husband to get for you at the store.)

Fun words (some are regional):

SLUG: A dollop, an approximate quantity you pour or put into something else.

SCRUMMY: short for scrumptious

LUG: Ear

FUR COAT NAY KNICKERS: Someone who tries to look rich, but ends up having no money for underwear. (We are not quite sure how you would find this out . . .)

These are just a few of our linguistic observations. More later.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Hilarious! Especially the cream distinctions. :) I guess Andrew's nickname of "Lug Nut" has gotten you some second looks, then?!

Have a great week,
Nancy

Chris said...

I agree with Nancy!
Chris

Karynn said...

These give me a HUGE smile Lisa! It reminds me very much of South Africa. I still have tea time at my house!
I can't wait to hear how you speak when you return!!
Karynn