Saturday, February 16, 2008

Losing Words

I must admit I am tuning out, or perhaps my ears have stopped working!

What do I mean? Well, I am struggling to hear every word spoken to me. I just can't do it. I especially notice this when I am talking with my British friends who speak with enough of an accent, very quickly, and who use a lot of the vernacular. At church I often find myself in a situation where the congregation is laughing at the pastor's joke, and I have completely missed it. British English IS a second language! And I am just learning it. . . .

I have thought my smile and nod (hopefully given at the right time) would suffice in those awkward moments when I have missed half a sentence (and can't quite say, "Excuse me, could you repeat that?"), and for the most part I think they do.

In fact, I am getting used to not hearing everything. It is actually beneficial sometimes at home, when everyone is talking at once!

Jim and I went out to dinner last night with friends to a nice little pub they knew of. After dinner, Jim excused himself and asked me to order him a "something double expresso" When I ordered, I racked my brain for what that something word was, but I just couldn't think what it must have been so I ordered what I had actually heard, "a double expresso please~"

I then excused myself, and upon returning to the table, Jim had already been served his coffee and was almost finished.

"It was decaf, right?" he asked.

Oh dear!

3 comments:

Teacherperson said...

Decaf with a side of raspberry sauce was actually what he said, right?

Angie Leonard said...

Lisa, I do the tuning out thing all the time too. I think it is part of the way we cope with culture shock. I guess that means we have to start consciously tuning in. Some where I read that some people with culture shock refuse to learn the host country's language. I wonder if this is a mild form of the same thng?

Love the blog, keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.