Wednesday, February 20, 2008

SURPRISE!

My heart cannot take any more surprises. I am absolutely numb with amazement because of two things that have happened within 12 hours of each other. And, since I am almost 40 (as of Friday) I need to be careful of what shock can do to my system!

Last night, my friend Rahela asked me to come over and check out something in the flat my folks would be staying in today. After she showed me what it was, she stopped in the common room of Tyndale House for some coffee. I paused at the door with the intention of waiting for her, and instead heard "SURPRISE" and there were so many wonderful friends I almost passed out. A surprise 40th birthday party is what I found waiting for me! Can you believe it?


I was shocked, plain and simple. What dear friends God has given me here! I sat looking around the circle so thankful for how the Lord more than abundantly has cared for me here in England. He is so good! Each one of these women has touched my life and has shown Christ to me, and I know that I am better because of it.

Look at these desserts! This picture doesn't do them justice, they were phenomenal! The best chocolate cake I have ever eaten, and then, my dream dessert, a pavlova, and some wonderful brownies and biscotti. Thank you dear friends, I will never forget my 40th birthday.


And then, another surprise~while waiting for my folks this morning I hear the doorbell ring. Thinking that it is them I run to the door to discover,


My SISTER!!!!!!!

She bought her ticket on Friday, and leaving all four children with her saintly husband and in-laws (thank you so much Richard, Harriet and Glenn) she was able to fly with my folks here.

I saw her through the door, started bawling, and fell down on my knees! I was so in shock I didn't even open the door. Fortunately it was open and she walked in!

My folks are here too, and I am absolutely overwhelmed with happiness. Thank you, Jesus.

5 comments:

Bren said...

Happy Birthday and have so much fun!!

Teacherperson said...

That makes me smile and get misty-eyed. Have such fun!

Happy birthday--um, is it today? (Checks calendar) Friday, right?

I have something for you, a birthday present! And you will like it. I insist.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

Dearest Lisa,
I love these blog type things, you are such a great writer and I feel like I was standing right there for your party and when your sister walked into your flat. God is so good, we miss you and have a blessed birthday!
With much love,
Chris

Nancy said...

LISA!!
I hope your heart is strong--this would knock anyone to their knees! :) All of us who love you say, Of course--God planned something extra special for our friend who is usually the one behind all those special surprises! We all share in your joy and delight. The only thing that could be better would be all of us being visible to you this weekend, as we are there in spirit on your special day. Happy birthday, dear Lisa!

Love, Nancy, Mark, and the kids who love you like an auntie.